Learn to Live Program
Learn to Live is a free and confidential online self-help mental health resource available for all University of Minnesota Morris (UMM) students. Online therapy has been found to “be at least as effective as (face-to-face) Cognitive Behavioral Group Therapy (learntolive, 2020).” However, it does not substitute in person, face-to-face counseling.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) was founded by psychiatrist Aaron Beck in the 1960s (Psychology Today, 2020). Hundreds of studies have shown CBT to be far more helpful than a variety of other supportive therapies. CBT, “focuses on modifying dysfunctional emotions, behaviors, and thoughts by interrogating and uprooting negative or irrational beliefs. CBT is considered a ‘solutions-orientated’ form of talk therapy, CBT rests on the idea that thoughts and perceptions influence behavior (Psychology Today, 2020)”.
Evidence suggests CBT is, “appropriate for people of all ages, including children, adolescents and adults. Evidence has mounted that CBT can address numerous conditions, such as major depressive disorder, anxiety disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder, eating disorders, obsessive compulsive disorders and many others (Psychology Today, 2020)”.
To log on and to utilize the Learn to Live Program:
- Visit Learn to Live at https://www.learntolive.com/partners
- Click on the “Sign-Up” tab at the top of the page.
- Click on “Visit Our Partners Page.”
- After clicking on the “Visit Our Partners Page”, you will be prompted to “Enter Your Code”. Your Code is “UMN.”
- After typing in your code, select “Morris” from the prompts provided.
- Next, you will be asked to complete an assessment piece that is six sections long for a total of fifty-six questions.
- After completing the assessment portion, you will be provided best treatment options geared towards alleviating your stressors.
- You can then “Enroll” in the different modules that best fit your current needs by providing your email address and creating a password.
- Your assessment is free and confidential.
- You will be able to complete your modules as frequently or infrequently as you would like.
- You will only be able to access your account for free while you are a student at the University of Minnesota, Morris.